The Toledo Potters’ Guild (TPG) was founded in 1951 under the suggestion of the internationally recognized ceramics and glass artist Harvey Littleton, who was then the ceramic instructor at the Toledo Museum of Art.
Early in its history the Guild maintained studio facilities in the Old West End prior to becoming a resident organization of the Toledo Botanical Garden (TBG). TBG is now under the management of the Lucas County Metroparks. Throughout the years, TPG has provided a working studio for members, educated the public about ceramics, and held sales, workshops, and classes.
The goal of the Toledo Potters’ Guild is the education of its members and the general public. To meet its goal, the Guild has undertaken several ongoing objectives:
- To foster an appreciation and understanding of ceramic arts in the general public by presenting exhibitions, workshops, classes and sale of members’ work.
- To support and provide for members’ artistic and professional development through workshops, exhibitions and education programs.
- To provide a fully functioning studio for members and for the public via classes.